Solution-oriented research and engagement address community issues.
ELP Community Partnership Projects
Developed through the Environmental Leaders Program, graduate student-driven projects link UC Davis graduate students with community members to address environmental issues and solve local environmental problems. Projects consist of collaborations among students, community members and groups, local city and agency partners, organizations and schools, and faculty and other university partners. The resulting collaborations develop leadership capacity and environmental and civic engagement skills.
Some projects link with university faculty research or research centers and facilitate graduate student PhD and Masters level research. Techniques for engaging with community members include research translation, public education, community science, and participatory research.
The service area is primarily central California, and most projects are in Solano, Yolo, and Sacramento Counties. New projects are identified through personal and institutional networks, faculty research connections, community partnerships, and through examining assets and needs of regional communities.
- Putah Creek -
Winters, Yolo County
Community participation in watershed restoration
- Laguna Creek
- Elk Grove, Sacramento County
Urban runoff practices affect watershed health
- Truckee & Clavey
Rivers - Sierra Watersheds
Getting scientific data and analysis into local decision-making
- Habitat Conservation Plan - Yolo County
- Parlier, Rural San
Agricultural practices affect air quality and health
- Mercury, Fish Consumption and Anglers - Sacramento River-Delta
- Small Water Systems & Worker Perception of Potable Water - Northern CA
- Vacaville, Solano County - image and place coincide
- Knights Landing,
Youth create a mural about their place
- Elk Grove, Sacramento
Survival of rural character in a fast growing city
- Beatty, Nye County, Nevada
From a former mining town to a sustainable community?
- Reducing Yolo County's Carbon Footprint - Yolo County
- Project Perennial - West Sacramento, Yolo County
School gardens and the wider community
- Curb to Creek Stormwater Project - Fairfield, Solano County
High school students investigate stormwater runoff
- Return of the Salmon - Solano and Yolo Counties
Teacher - environmental educator partnerships enhance learning
- WaterWays - Solano County - A water education program for school students